Bismillah Hirahamah Niraheem
I heard a very enlightening lecture by Brother Masood Chowdhury titled “My Lord! My People Have Deserted This Quran.”
This talk is about the Quran and how those who have deserted it based upon the verse “And the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) will say: “O my Lord! Verily, my people deserted this Qur’ân”.[Al-Furqan 25:30]. In the days of the Prophet(SWS), the disbelievers were so afraid of the Quran changing their hearts, that they would clap and whistle to drown out it’s noise. The above ayah was revealed when our Prophet(SWS) complained to Allah about it.
This brother goes on to discuss why the present day Muslims, inspite of having the Quran are not able excel as a society. He also discusses different ways in which muslims have abandoned the Quran and what abandonment of the Quran means. Here is a summary of the lecture for those who dont have time or resources to listen to the entire lecture.
Why was the Quran revealed?
The speaker starts with ayat of Quran “Shahru ramadana allatheeonzila feehi alqur-anu hudan linnasi” [2:185] i.e. The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Quran, a guidance for mankind.
The primary goal for which the Quran was revealed was as guidance for mankind as told in various ayat and Hadith.
Disbelievers comments on the Quran
William Gladstone,former British PM – “As long as the Quran exists,Europe will not conquer the Islamic east.”
French Colonial Governor of Algeria – “It is must to remove Arabic Quran from their presence and remove the Arabic language from their tongues in order to have victory over them.”
Enemies of Islam realise the the Quran has potential to change nations, then why don’t we change?
How have we abandoned the Quran?
The speaker tells us that abandonment of Quran not only means not coming near the Quran but also various other aspects like
1) Taking people away from Arabic language : The Quran was revealed in Arabic. By reading it in translations we loose the spirit of the Quran. The speaker asks us to teach Arabic to children so that they have direct access to the Quran.
2) Make people focus on the secondary aspects of Quran : The main reason for Allah revealing the Quran was as guidance for Mankind. But by reading the Quran for reasons other than for guidance is why muslims are not able to change inspite of the Quran. The secondary aspects include
– According to a survey 90% of Muslims read the Quran for it’s barakah. This is right because there are various Hadith stating that the reward for reading each letter of the Quran. But it is not the only reason why the Quran should be read.
– According to the survey, the next majority of muslims use the Quran for Jinn busting and protection against magic. Definitely the Quran is a shifah for physical ailments and protection against evil. But wearing it as amulets is forbidden and using Quran only for this purpose defies the very purpose of it’s revelation.
– Most people also read it only for the purpose of Tajweed and Qiraat. We should try our best to beautify our recitation. But Tajweed without Tafsir is like losing the plot. The main reason for reciting Quran beautifully is to understand it better.
3) Misinterpretation of the Quran
What have we to look for when we read the Quran?
The way we read a book is important. If it is for light reading it is not necessary to understand it fully and if it is for in depth study we need to read it seriously. When reading the Quran we have to know that we are looking for guidance. If we dont know what we are looking for then we wont find it. The main themes of the Quran are
a) Tawhid : The Quran helps us know our Lord, His attributes and how to worship Him. This strengthens our relationship with Him. Ayatul Qursi is the most important ayat of the Quran is because it describes Allah. Surah Ikhas is said to be 1/3rd of the Quran because it describes Oneness of Allah.
b) Self improvement and personal guidance : The Quran provides guidance in the area of manners and the way in which we deal with others. It is guidance for individual improvement.
c) Improvement of society : The Quran contains many rulings for entire mankind to reform the society as a whole.
d) Warns us of enemies of Islam : The Quran tells us of the on going struggle between truth and falsehood from the beginning of times through various narrations and that it will continue till the day of Judgement. It also warns us of the internal enemies of Islam. Like the munafiqoon( hypocrites), the kaafir( disbelievers) and the nafs(inner self) other than of course the shaitan.
How to benefit from the Quran?
We can benefit from the Quran by having the right attitude when reading it. We should not be skeptical by agreeing with one ayat and not being sure of another. We have to completely trust the entire Quran.
Next, reading the Quran is a dynamic process. We have to implement it as we read it and not decide to implement after we finish reading the entire book. By implementing each ayat we increase our interation with the Quran.
Etiquette of reading the Quran
The speaker concludes with some etiquette of reading the Quran like
Time to read : 24 X 7
Best time : At fajr
How much : quality not quantity is important.how much we can reflect effectively.
Best place : Masjid
Best etiquette : with wudhu and after seeking refuge with Allah.
For all those who want to listen to the lecture in detail, here is it.